Room to Read
Room to Read seeks to transform the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Working in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations and governments, we develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children, and support girls to complete secondary school with the relevant life skills to succeed in school and beyond.
We are non-governmental, non-religious and work with many local NGOs and community based organizations to implement our programs. We currently work in Bangladesh,Cambodia, India, Laos, Nepal, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, and Zambia - countries with a desperate lack of resources to educate their children. Since our inception, Room to Read's worldwide team has impacted over 4 million children by constructing more than 1,100 schools, establishing over 9,200 libraries, publishing 433 new children's book titles in 11 local languages, and putting over 8,900 girls onto long-term, holistic scholarships.
Room to Read has an annual budget of approximately US$30 million and our global staff numbers over 380. Our global headquarters is located in San Francisco, and we have smaller fundraising offices in New York, Hong Kong, London, Tokyo and Delhi. We have an Asia Regional Office located in New Delhi, a Southern Africa Regional Office in Pretoria, and program offices in Colombo, Dhaka, Ho Chi Minh City, Kathmandu, Lusaka, New Delhi, Pretoria, Phnom Penh, and Vientiane. Our long-term goal is to help 10 million children to gain the lifelong gift of education.
The Finance Associate is responsible for preparing budgets and reporting for grants proposals and for assisting with Room to Read’s budgeting, forecasting and planning process. This position is part of the Finance team, but supports and will be an active part of the Development team.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with our program countries, regional offices and global office departments as they prepare annual budgets and quarterly forecasts to ensure their accuracy and completeness
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting based on information from our general ledger and other reporting systems
- Working with the Programs and Development teams, develop, maintain and provide analysis of Annual Pricing Model
- Support the Development and Programs teams to create detailed program financial budgets and/or analyses for grant proposals
- Prepare reports on amounts spent for grants and investigate variances to grant proposal budgets
- Create new and maintain existing financial models as needed
- Prepare financial materials for our Board of Directors and Management Team
- Analyze financial results, investigating variances to plan and researching key business metrics
- Facilitate in-house employee training on subjects such as budgeting and planning
- Support the Treasury, investment tracking and cash management functions
- Perform ad-hoc projects and financial analyses as needed