Legal Information - Visa, Immigration, Travel & more

Please make yourself familiar with US regulations and legal matters. These rules are subject to change at anytime. You can seek legal information from the UM International Center's website. If you cannot find the answer to your question, email or call to schedule an appointment (contact information below).

The contact information for the UM International Center is below. It is useful for all Ross Partners who enter the US from overseas to know where the International Center (I-Center) is located.

Students with other immigration statuses including H-1B, H-4, TN, Permanent Resident, etc. should seek advice from the attorney who is responsible for the status.

With regard to RSB students and spouses, F and J visas are the most common. For information on dependent visas (F-2 and J-2) for spouses and children, including information on employment and study in dependent status, visit the International Center's Dependents website. If F-2 or J-2 visas are not an option because you and your partner do not meet the definition of legally-married or opposite-sex spouses, contact the International Center for advice.

  • F-1 VISA
    • Most international students obtain F-1 status. For information about entering the U.S. as an F-1 student, maintaining F-1 status, travel, dependents, employment and more, visit the International Center's F-1 Visa website.
  • J-1 VISA
    • Fewer international students are eligible for J-1 status. Only Ross students who are participants in the CIBE exchange program or whose education is sponsored by a third party (other than personal/family funds or loans) are eligible for the J-1 status. If you believe one of these criteria apply to you as an incoming student, you may ask your admissions officer about obtaining a J-1 visa or schedule an appointment with an International Center advisor.
    • For information about entering the U.S. as a J-1 student, maintaining status, travel, dependents, employment, maintaining the two year home residence requirement and more, visit the International Center's J-1 Visa website.

Useful Links